I have been working for the last several months on two new book projects, one of them is a “strategic life planning workbook” called Strategies For Success – the keys to success in school, career and life — and the other is a compilation of advice I’ve given to senior executives, CEOs and mentees that I have coached over the years. As part of working on that second book, I took a very serious and long look at all of the research I have on how to build a winning culture – the Great Places to Work study, a huge national Gallup poll, the Firms of Endearment study, the new Harvard study on the best places on earth to work and much, much more – and compiled it down to this new list I just created of what I saw as the pattern across all of this research. I thought you might find it interesting, I welcome any feedback, questions, suggestions.
Ten Elements of a Winning Culture by John Spence
- People enjoy the work they do and the people they work with.
- People take pride in the work they do and the company they work for.
- There are high levels of engagement, connection, camaraderie and a community of caring.
- There is a culture of fairness, respect, trust, inclusiveness and teamwork.
- The leaders walk the talk, live the values and communicate a clear vision and strategy for growth.
- Lots of open, honest, robust and transparent communication across the entire organization.
- The company invests back in employees; there is a commitment to learning, coaching and development.
- There is a bias for action, employees have an ownership mentality and always strive to give their personal best.
- There is high accountability and a strong focus on delivering the desired results.
- There is ample recognition and rewards and mediocrity is not tolerated.
PS – this list would probably act as a great internal audit, so if you want to you might try scoring it on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being excellent and 1 being terrible, and I would be concerned about any scores to drop below a 7.
*** If you want more specifics on exactly how to build a great company culture, I have created a very concise and focused ebook that will give you all of my best ideas, tools and advice. It is only $2.99 on Amazon and I promise it will be VERY helpful. Click HERE to take a look