I was recently serving as a lead instructor for the Florida Recreation and Park Association (my longest standing client at 17 years!!!) Joe Abrahams Academy for Leadership Excellence, an elite school for their emerging leaders. During the program I challenged the group to develop an “Ideal Leader” competency model and this is what the came up with…
• Honest: authentic, humble, character, integrity to values, show and gain respect.
• Communication: transparency, honesty, clear goals, collaboration, listener, storyteller, stakeholder input, open door policy, curious.
• Compassion: community of caring, recognition and praise, shared credit.
• Inspirational: positive attitude, accountable, passionate, lead by example, authentic.
• Talent: empowerment, accountability, competency, training, lifelong learning, investment, get the right people.
• Risk Taking: be decisive, have a shared vision, highly competent, innovative, embrace change, be connected, pursue the big idea.
That is a SIMPLE but very powerful list. Easy to talk about – challenging to live. Welcome to leadership! 24/7/365
I think they did a spectacular job of capturing some of the most fundamental and essential elements of being a truly successful leader. What do you think? Did them miss something critical? I would LOVE your ideas and insights.